While pre-match betting constitutes the bulk of wagers, the excitement and potential of live, in-play betting is massive. Making wagers in real-time as a game unfolds allows you to capitalize on evolving dynamics like momentum shifts, in-game adjustments, and fluctuating odds.
For beginners, live betting can seem complicated. In this article, I will explain the fundamentals of in-play wagering and essential strategies to excel at real-time sports betting.
Understanding Live Betting
Live betting involves wagering on outcomes after a match has officially started and is underway. Sportsbooks instantly adjust odds and open new markets based on what’s transpiring in real-time during the game.
For example, a football match between Liverpool and Manchester United is 0-0 at half-time. But Liverpool scores two quick goals after the break. The live odds for Liverpool to win may shorten from pre-match +180 to +100 after they take the lead.
This allows punters to capitalize on key events and momentum shifts as they occur by wagering in-play. The ability to react instantly differentiates live betting.
Advantages of Live Betting
Several key advantages:
- Capitalize on momentum swings and key in-game events as odds move
- Provides information from actually watching the game before betting
- Hedge pre-match wagers using live markets
- Expanded selection of prop and special wagers
- Ability to lock-in profits via cashing out
The dynamics lead to great opportunities not available prior to matches starting.
Strategies for Live Wagering
Some key live betting strategies include:
- Don’t just bet favorites up big – Look for opportunities to fade heavy favourites if odds get too skewed.
- Identify adjusting mispriced underdogs – Teams down often see their odds balloon higher than their chances to come back warrant.
- Leverage your pre-match bets – If your wager is winning, you can cash-out for profit or hedge bets using live markets.
- React rapidly – In-play odds shift quickly. Make bets decisively when you spot value.
- Don’t chase losses – Stick to rational opportunities. Don’t try to immediately recover prior losses.
Stay selective and don’t get carried away with wager frequency or size during the intensity of live action.
When live betting:
- Have a dedicated bankroll for in-play wagers separate from pre-match funds
- Make smaller bet sizing – games shift rapidly so reduce risk exposure
- Set stop-losses on days where your live wagers aren’t hitting
- Secure profits by cashing out bets early when in winning positions
- Don’t let previous results influence upcoming live bets